Hunting Information
Wildlife Cruises
Reserve A Hunt
Contact Us
About Us

Maps and Info
Photo Gallery
Current Events
Federal Firearms      Permit

Kodiak Brown Bear
Grizzly Bear
Mountain Goat
Black Bear
Dall Sheep
Sitka BlackTail Deer


Why is it so expensive to hunt in Alaska?
When one starts to pay ten to twenty thousand for a hunt it is definitely expensive. However, in Alaska most of the good game areas can only be accessed by airplane or boat. When you consider the costs of owning an airplane or boat or leasing these services it is enormous. Then the hunt must be outfitted properly by providing quality camp equipment, experienced guides, fresh meats, fruits and produce, as well as to provide regular camp checks for safety via a satellite phone or radio. It is the goal of the professionals working with Alaska Trophy Hunting to provide a quality hunting experience that the clients deserve and should expect and to do it at a fair price.

What kind of physical condition should I be in to come on one of your hunting safaris?
It is not necessary to be in top athletic condition, especially if you are hunting on one of the ocean going hunting vessels.. However, if you book a special hunt for Dall Sheep or want to do a spike hunt for Mountain Goat you need to do some exercising and be in very good physical condition. You should start by walking or running 2 or 3 times a week and doing some normal exercising, such as deep knee bends, and stair climbing. Then lengthen your walks or runs, increase your exercises, and start carrying a little weight in a back pack. Even better start taking some hikes in the mountains if you can. The guides are professionals and will go at your pace and assist you in every way they can to help you in the field. However, your hunt will be much more enjoyable if you come in good physical condition so that you can make a quick stalk, if necessary, on your game once it is sighted. Nothing is more frustrating than to lose an opportunity for an outstanding trophy because you were not in good enough condition to get into position in time to take the animal.

On the equipment list you have included ankle fitting hip boots. What are they and do I really need them? Where can I buy them?
Ankle fitting hip boots are designed to fit snugly and comfortably so that you can walk for distances without getting blisters on your heels. The guides generally wear them on all of their hunts, including those in the goat and sheep mountains. The problem is that Alaska is covered with bogs, marshes, and streams. Even in the goat and sheep mountains, you will encounter swamps and numerous streams that have to be crossed. They are especially good when you are hunting the beaches for Brown Bear or Black Bear and are getting in and out of the Zodiac. You can find them in Cabela's Catalogue or buy them in most of the sporting goods stores in Anchorage.

What caliber rifle do you recommend?
In general, the ideal rifle for Alaska is the .300 magnum. With lighter bullet weights it is good for goat & sheep at long ranges and by using heavier bullet weights it can handle the big bears. If you are only hunting grizzly or brown bear the .375 magnum is recommended. In Alaska you will encounter a lot of moisture so a fiberglass stock is ideal. Plan to bring a minimum of two boxes of ammunition. Three boxes are even better. You never know when the scope will be knocked out of alignment and you will need to re-sight your rifle. If you are shooting a .300 magnum think about sighting it in to be dead on at 300 yards. When you shoot at any animal out to 400 yards you should be in the kill zone by aiming exactly where you want to hit.

Am I apt to get motion sickness on the boat?
We are hunting from an ocean going boat that is stable and cuts through the swells to give a fairly smooth ride. However, if you are prone to motion sickness while traveling in cars or airplanes, you should consider bringing some motion sickness tablets or one of the wrist bands that are marketed to alleviate the symptoms. During much of the hunt we will be anchored in protected waters while we glass the shoreline and mountain sides for animals. When an animals is spotted, that deserves a closer look, a smaller Zodiac or skiff will be used to take you to shore.

Do I need to bring a pack?
Generally, you will only need to bring a comfortable pack that will hold your personal effects. It should have a large enough bag to handle your spotting scope and camera, lunch and water bottle, and any personal items that you need. Remember, it is best to dress in layers and your pack will hold the clothes that you are not wearing. If you are on a drop hunt for Dall Sheep or a spike camp hunt for Mountain Goat a good back pack is required. It should have a sturdy bag that is large enough to carry 35 pounds.

What type of sleeping bag should I bring?
You should bring a sleeping bag, and a pad to go under it, in which you can sleep warm and comfortably. Temperatures will rarely be less than 20 degrees F or minus 5 degrees C. However, sleeping bags are generally rated for survival and not for comfort so you will normally need a bag rated for colder weather than you expect to encounter. Dry clothing and a good nights sleep are essential for an enjoyable hunting experience.

What type of rain gear do you recommend?
For special hunts for Dall Sheep, Caribou, etc. you can normally get by with a good quality gore-tex rain suit. However, for all of the luxury cruise hunts you should have the best quality rain suit that is 100% water proof. Since your hip boots are water proof a three quarter length coat will provide good protection and will be easy to put on and take off, as opposed to rain pants.

Where should I buy my hunting license and big game tags?
For your convenience hunting licenses and big game tags will be available for you on the boat or in the hunting camp on the special hunts. As a result, tags are available if you should decide to add an animal to your hunt at a later time. Big game tags must be in your possession before you can hunt for that particular specie. However, any tag of equal or greater value can be used. For example, a Brown Bear tag can be used on any animal since it is the most expensive big game tag. Once purchased big game tags are non-refundable.

Do you guarantee that I will be successful in taking the animal I am hunting?
Your guarantee is that you will be placed in a traditionally good hunting area with a professional guide who will be dedicated to help you be successful. It would serve no purpose to have you camped in an area that is void of game, and that will not be done. In short, if there are no game animals in the area you will not be there either. In addition to being unethical, in the State of Alaska it is illegal to guarantee that the client will be successful in taking his trophy. Success or lack of success can be determined by many factors such as weather, physical condition, patience, determination and being in the right place at the right time. Although success is high, and it does not happen often, it is possible to return home without your trophy.

What are your hunting camps like?
The Ocean going vessels are comfortable with seperate bunks and bathrooms and a shower. There is a nice area to cook and enjoy our meals. Also covered areas on the deck to get out of the weather when it rains. It is a pleasure to be on a quality hunt with great meals and warm showers at the end of the day.

Tent camps are used for the special hunts for hunting Dall Sheep, Grizzly, Caribou, and Moose. Excellent quality tents are used that are the best that are available on the market today and are designed to keep the hunters dry in the worst weather conditions. These camps are small and portable so that they can be moved easily. A woman will be given a separate tent while the men will generally share the tent with their guide. If you come prepared with good quality clothing this will be a great hunting adventure.

What kind of weather can I expect during my hunt?
Depending upon the time of your hunt, you can experience a variety of weather from bright hot sunny days to rain and wind and even some scattered snow showers falling at the higher elevations. During a 10 day hunt one generally can expect some rain and fog and a few days that are cloudy with the sun shining through. The ideal weather is an overcast sky with a few scattered fog banks and an occasional rain shower. The animals prefer cooler weather and move about better with these conditions. The temperatures will range between 20 degree F lows and 60 degree F highs.

During the late Fall Brown Bear, Sitka Black Tail Deer, and Mountain Goat hunts on Kodiak Island, the Seward Peninsula, and the Alaska Peninsula expect the worst kind of weather. Be prepared for blowing wind and rain and even some hail and snow showers. The wind can blow from 15 to 45 miles an hour but don't be surprised if you experience winds that are much stronger. Be prepared and dress appropriately. The big Brown Bear thrives in these terrible conditions and are often seen feeding and roaming about in the worst of stormy conditions.

Should I bring a spotting scope and binoculars?
One of the most important pieces of equipment that you can take on a hunting trip is a good pair of quality binoculars. The guides prefer Zeiss or Leica. If your binoculars are 10 power that is generally sufficient and a spotting scope is not a necessity. Each of the guides will have a spotting scope. If you prefer to have your own by all means bring one.

What safety procedures do you provide on the boat and in the hunting camps?
All of our professional licensed guides have received instructions in first aide and are certified to provide CPR and advanced first aide care. A first aide kit is available in every camp. Every camp also has a satellite phone to use in case of emergencies or a hand held radio that is used to communicate with the base camp, boat, or the airplane that checks on each camp every several days. There are medical facilities within a two hour flight in case of serious accidents.

The hunting vessel is equipped with the most current state of the art safety and navigation equipment, including self inflating life rafts, communication system, fixed firefighting equipment, locator beacon, and life jackets for all people on board. The boat is inspected by the U.S. Coast Guard each year and has a captain on board that is also licensed by the U.S. Coast Guard.

Do I need any permits to carry my rifle into the United States?
If you are not a citizen or legal resident of the United States you will be required to have a permit to import firearms or ammunition into the United States. ATF Form 6 is available on this website or at www.atf.treas.gov.com along with instructions and information for completing the form. You are also required to have a current Alaska Hunting License when you apply for this permit. For assistance in filling out this form or obtaining a current Alaska State Hunting License please contact us at our e-mail address.

Will you book my hotel room for me?
Some of the hotels in Anchorage, Homer, and Kodiak provide a small discount to clients as an incentive for the guides and outfitters to book the clients with them. It is not a problem for us to book your room with this discount. You will only need to provide your schedule of arrival and a credit card number so the room can be guaranteed with the hotel. If you prefer to book your own room we can recommend the names and locations of several hotels that we have found to provide good service and that cater to hunters.

What is the procedure when I arrive in Anchorage, Homer, or Kodiak?
When you arrive in Anchorage you should already have your hotel room booked and have all of the information necessary to take a courtesy car to your hotel. We are happy to meet clients who are not as familiar with the language and need additional assistance in getting to the hotel. The next day a staff member will contact you and assist you in getting to your continued commercial flight to Homer or Kodiak or if you have booked a special hunt for Dall Sheep or Grizzly, etc. you will be assisted in getting to the airtaxi for a charter flight to the hunting camp. If you are scheduled to fly on the same day to Homer or Kodiak you will stay in the airport and take your scheduled connecting flight.

When you arrive at Seward, Homer or Kodiak you will generally spend the night at a local hotel. The next day you will be picked up and brought to the boat or taken to an airtaxi for your charter flight to the boat or the hunting camp. When you arrive your guide will show you around, answer questions, and help you get situated and prepared for the hunt. You will want to sight your gun in and organize for your first day of hunting. At this point all of the necessary paperwork will be completed and your hunting licenses and tags issued.

What happens if I cancel my hunt?
When you send a deposit you are giving a guarantee that you will come to hunt with Alaska Trophy Hunting. When I accept your deposit I am giving a guarantee that I will hold a space for you. As a result, if you must cancel your hunt your deposit will be forfeited. In some cases an exception will be made if you find an acceptable hunter to replace yourself. In this case, your deposit will be refunded immediately upon receipt of a deposit from the substitute hunter.

What is a normal tip to give to my guide?
Tipping is a very personal subject and it is difficult to give a good clear answer. However, the guide's tip is generally dependant upon the quality of service he renders and upon any special efforts he made to help with the success of your hunt. Success is not necessarily dependent upon the number of animals taken but more on how enjoyable your hunt was and what efforts your guide made to provide a good quality hunting experience. Tips generally range between $200 and $600 with an occasional tip being over $1000. Again, tipping is very personal and it is left completely up to your discretion.

Who takes care of my trophies and how do I get them to my home town?
The guide is trained to field care for your trophy. This includes skinning, turning the lips and ears, and salting the hide to seal the hair. In this condition they are green and are generally wet as the salt draws the moisture from the hide. If you provide a water proof bag your trophy can be taken back with you on the airplane. However, if they are lost or delayed for any period of time they will spoil in this condition. Clients have experienced this before. It's a shame to lose a large Brown Bear after all the expense and effort of taking it. Also, if a bear or wolf is going international it will need to have a CITES permit which will take several days to rush through. Another alternative is to send the trophy to an expeditor who will completely flesh and dry the hide, take care of all the necessary Veterinary Documents and CITES Permits, and send the trophy to your taxidermist. This is a more expensive alternative but the best one to insure that your trophy arrives in good condition at its final destination.

How do I book a hunt with Alaska Trophy Hunting?
Once you decide you would like to hunt with Alaska Trophy Hunting send an e-mail or give us a call so that any additional questions you have can be answered. The different hunt dates can be discussed and the hunt selected which best meets your needs for the animal selected within the time periods that you have available to hunt. A 50% deposit is needed to confirm your hunt. You can mail a check to us in Alaska. Or direct deposit or wire your deposit to one of our accounts. Once the deposit has been received a letter and contract will be sent to confirm your booking with our organization. Bank account information will be sent to you when you request it.

Home | Hunting Information | Wildlife Cruises | Reserve A Hunt | Contact Us | About Us | Links | FAQ
© 2004 - 2007 AlaskaTrophyHunting.com